Learn Italian in Italy, Travel, and Experience Arezzo with us!
August 31 – September 11, 2018 (12 Days / 7 Days Classes )
(Airfare not included)
Option B – Extended Stay
August 31 – September 15, 2018 (15 Days / 14 Days Classes)
(Airfare not included)
Learn Italian Arezzo Italy with Melissa Muldoon la Studentessa Matta. Join me and Paola Testi director of Cultura Italiana in AREZZO in 2018 to LEARN & IMPROVE YOUR ITALIAN! Immersing in language and culture and traveling with like-minded individuals is a great way to learn the language in a relaxed and friendly environment. My friends and teachers at Cultura Italiana Arezzo and I are are planning another exciting language and cultural program in the delightful town of Arezzo, in Tuscany.
Highlights of the 2018 program will include participation in the Giostra del Saracino – Arezzo’s famous jousting festival that dates back to the medieval age, as well as joining the Italians from our school’s neighborhood – Blue & Giallo – for the Propiziatoria “Good luck” dinner to celebrate with the jousters and their fans the evening before the match. Arezzo is alive with jubilation, costumes and parades during the first week of September AND there will be dancing and singing in the streets!
The 2018 Program offers 2 new options:
a 12 day program and a 15 day extended stay option
We will also visit Arezzo’s Saturday market and taste authentic local cuisine and wander the famous “Fiera Antiquaria” – Arezzo’s antique fair. There will be cooking lessons with wine tastings with Chef Lala and a visit to the Basilica di San Francesco for a guided tour of Piero della Francesca’s frescos depicting the “Cycle of the True Cross”. This year’s excursions will include bus trips to Anghiari and Orvieto. There will also be a visit to the Scuderia – the stables and practice grounds to see where the jousters prepare for the joust!
This year we will also take part in the Monte San Savino “Sagra della Porchetta” where there will be more local crafts, food, dancing and singing in the nearby countryside. There will be Free Afternoons to Shop or wander in the steps of Roberto Benigni who filmed “la Bella Vita” in Arezzo, visit the house of Vasari, as well as a Guided tour of Arezzo with a teacher from the school. We will finish the week relaxing in the vineyards of Pomaio surrounded by the fall vines, ripe and ready for the Vendemia – grape harvest – while sipping on the vineyard’s wines.
The Matta / Cultura Italiana Arezzo – 2018 Language & Cultural Immersion includes:
• Lodging at Antiche Mura a charming B&B with updated baths, TV, Internet
• 7 Days (1 week + 1 Day) or 11 Days (2 weeks + 1 Day) Italian Lessons (Depending on Selected Program: Day or 15 Day Program) at Cultura Italiana Arezzo (classes will be held in the mornings: 9:00 am – 1 pm, Monday through Friday)
• Unlimited Italian conversation practice with teachers & Italian friends
• Dinners included, except free day
• Full Breakfast included (Sweet & Salty Selections: meat, fruit, cereal, coffee, yogurt, eggs, pastries, cheeses)
• 1 Cooking class with Chef Lala in which we will prepare and dine on what we have prepared
• Wine tastings in a local winery located in the hills outside of Arezzo
• Historical Walking Tour of Arezzo with teachers from Cultura Italiana Arezzo
• Tickets to view the Jousting Ceremony (La Giostra del Saracino) & presentation of the history of the event
• On the day of the Jousting Ceremony enjoy the parades and pageantry as each neighborhood parades up and down the streets of Arezzo / Organized dinner following the Joust
• Visit to the Scuderia of Porta Santo Spirito / Visit to the Porta Santo Spirito Stables to see the horses and where the jousters practice
• Monte San Savino “Sagra della Porchetta” – an evening of local foods, crafts, and fun! (On the day of the sagra lunch will be provided with the group in Arezzo. Each student will be responsible for their own meal and food item purchases during the evening Sagra event.)
• Pizza & Game Night
• Guided visits of Arezzo’s Saturday Market & Antique Market
• Day trip to Orvieto to visit to Santa Margherita – Lunch included
• Day trip to Anghieri to see the Busatti family looms & textile factory
• Guided visit to the bottega where Signor Conti makes the Lancia d’Oro (this activity may be substituted with another depending on artist’s availability)
• Free Days to Shop or Wander Arezzo on your own You are free to visit the churches, Vasari’s House, Climb to the top of the tower in Piazza Grande
• Special Farewell Dinner at the Pomaio Winery in the hills outside of Arezzo. This will be an afternoon designed to relax after our busy week, to enjoy the scenery of the Tuscan countryside, sit in the gardens and have an aperitivo, read & take walks. There will also be a guided tour of the winery with wine tasting with the winery’s sommelier. A special dinner will be prepared for us, with music and dancing on the terrace!
• For those extending their stay in Arezzo to attend the second week at Cultura Italiana, there will be one organized afternoon activity on Wednesday, September 12 and another special farewell dinner on Friday September 14th
ll levels of language learners welcome from BEGINNER to ADVANCED. Students will be placed in appropriate classes according to their language levels along with other International students attending Cultura Italiana Arezzo. All classes at Cultura Italiana Arezzo feature a mix of grammar instruction, as well as Italian Culture, designed to take each student to the next level of speaking and comprehension.
Accommodations: We will be staying at Barbara Lancini’s Antiche Mura a B&B in Arezzo’s historic district, 15-minute walking distance to the school. The rooms of the hotel are delightfully decorated and feature updated private baths, TV, Internet, Air Conditioning.
For those participants who may have difficulties walking, or wish to be situated in a hotel located closer to the school (a block away, in the new quarter) we also have a few rooms reserved at the Hotel Aretino.
Book Now! There are only 10 spots!
The price for the “Matta” Arezzo Language program is $3,600.00 for the 12-day program and $4,15.00 for the 15-day program. Availability is based on first-come-first-served & a reservation is not guaranteed until the receipt of deposit or full trip payment. A $500 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your reservation. Accepting reservations until July 1, 2018. (After this date, you can still sign up for the program, but we can’t guarantee accommodations at Le Antiche Mura. We will help find alternative housing options.)
The balance of trip fee will be due approximately 60 days before trip start date (7/1/2018). You may also pay the full trip fee at the time of booking. To book with peace of mind and to safeguard your trip investment, in the case of personal emergency or a family life event that might prevent you from departing for Italy, you may want to consider purchasing travel insurance through agencies as such as Travel Guard, AAA or American Express. Please read the Cultura Italiana Arezzo Language School/ Matta Refund Policy & Terms of Conditions.
For more information contact Melissa@StudentessaMatta.com .
Transport to Arezzo: The nearest airport is Florence, which is about 45 minutes by car from Arezzo. There are also hourly direct trains from Florence. Please contact Melissa with your specific transport questions and she will be happy to help you with your travel arrangements. If there is a large group I will arrange for a van to transport students back to Florence at the beginning or at the end of the trip.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To make a reservation please fill out automated form above. Ci vediamo ad Arezzo!
PROGRAMMA CULTURA ITALIANA AREZZO – settembre 2018
Participants should plan to arrive in Arezzo on August 31 and depart the morning of the 11th (of 15th depending on optio nchosen). (If you wish to arrive a day early, let Melissa know so she can make arrangements with the B&B. Extra days spent at the B&B are out of pocket expenses. For travel back home you can make flight arrangements for afternoon and evening of the 11th out of Florence or Rome
PARTECIPANTI: max. 10 persone
PERIODO: Friday August 31 – Wednesday September 11, 2018 with the option to extend stay until Saturday, September 15, 2018
NUMERO GIORNI: 12 days (11 nights) or 15 days (14 nights)
CORSO: Morning lessons from 9 am – 12:50 with other international students from Monday 3 September – Monday September 10. (Includes Saturday September 9).
Extend Option classes: Monday 3 September – Friday September 14. (Includes Saturday September 9).
Cheers & Recommendations from previous participants!
Sheree Isola – (3 time participant Lucca 2015, Arezzo 2016, Florence 2017) (Accountant, State of Montana): Melissa took great care to find very interesting and fun activities that appealed to all of the different ages and personalities of the people who attended The Lucca School of Italian and Studentessa Matta Language program. She is very bright and fun. She was attentive to each of us. All of this and still highly professional. I recommend!
Ann Lanfri (2 time participant Arezzo 2016 & Lucca 2017) Melissa did a wonderful job leading our recent experience in Arezzo. The company was great and the food delicious. The Cultura Italiana Arezzo Scuola welcomed us with open arms – we learned about the language and culture and made several interesting local tours.
Kara (4 time participant: Rome 2015, Arezzo 2016 & 2017, Florence 2017) – (Musician, Piano Instructor, Artist) Traveling with Melissa on our recent trip to Rome was enlightening, fascinating and most of all, FUN! Melissa’s command of Italian helped us all to enjoy the myriad of activities and situations we enjoyed, from school and art classes to dinners, tours, traveling around Rome, meeting her many friends and having a chance to practice Italian with them. It was all extremely well organized and appropriate to our mixed level of appreciating the language and culture, and Melissa’s expertise allowed us all to relax and have the best trip I can remember taking. Every single day was an adventure, and our small group enjoyed each other and discovering Rome together. Our language school, Scud’It, was great and I think my Italian improved during the 12 days we were there. Kelly, our art teacher, is extraordinary, both as artist and teacher, and I can’t wait to go back and do more art with her. It’s been a month since I’ve returned, but I still think fondly of the trip and the wonderful people I met and spent time with. If you are considering traveling with Melissa, I strongly encourage you to do it! You’ll have a trip to remember, filled with experiences that you would not have had otherwise.
Judy Hathaway (Italophile): About 5 years ago, I decided to audit Italian language classes at the University of Kansas. Not long after that, a friend told me about Melissa Muldoon’s blog, the Studentessa Matta, which I have followed since then. Thanks to Melissa and her love of the Italian language and culture, I have just returned from a fantastic experience in Lucca as a participant in Melissa’s most recent group adventure in Italy. The staff and teachers at the Lucca Italian School gave us a warm welcome, quickly sorted us into appropriate levels for instruction, and then the fun began! The teachers provided plenty of challenging exercises, games, worksheets, and listening experiences for four hours each week day. Fellow students were from all over the world, so the Italian language was the common denominator. It was just the kind of language immersion I needed to gain confidence and improve my ability to communicate! Best of all, Melissa and the folks at the Lucca Italian School treated us like family and provided many additional experiences including dinners, cooking classes, Italian movie night, and trips to Pisa and the Cinque Terre.
Please fill out the Deposit / Reservation form to reserve your spot on the 2018 Arezzo Italian Language Program. When you hit the submit button you will be taken to a new form page. Please continue to fill out ALL the Trip Forms and sign the waivers and hit submit to fully enroll in the program. Thank you!