Here are some tips for improving your Italian. These are things that I do on a daily basis to practice and work with the language. Even if you don’t live in Italy it is possible to create your own immersion program following the tips below.
Click on the other links in this learning section, Lucca Italian School, Cyber Italian, Maximondo, Transparent Language, LiveScribe Pen to discover schools and learning materials that are available to your through this site at discounted rates. Buoni studi!!!
1) Ascolti podcast e film e TV italiani su il tuo ipod mentre fai qualcosa altra, come esercitarti in palestra. Sei piu’ rilassato e puoi imparare senza concentrarti troppo.
Listen to podcasts and italian tv on your ipod while doing something else, like exercising at the gym. You are more relaxed and can learn subliminally without over concentrating.
RAI CLICK http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/cerca_tematiche.html view Italian TV and Movies on line
Italia.FM – http://www.italia.fm Italian Radio on the Internet
YouTube – Find all kinds of songs, Italian film clips
2) Leggi libri senza un dizionario. Indovinare il significato di una parola che non conosci dal contesto.
Read books without a dictionary. Discern the meaning of unfamiliar words from the context.
But if you need a little extra help now and then: here are some good resources:
Word Reference: online dictionary http://www.wordreference.com/it/index.htm
Word Reference Forum: http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
great place to ask scholarly questions about the language, inquire about words and grammar nuances, as well as inquire about how to properly translate something obscure
Garzanti Italian On-Line Dictionary: Why bother with an English/Italian Dictionary? Go straight to the Italian version and get your explanation in Italian
UltraLingua Dictionary http://www.ultralingua.com computer program, ipod/iphone app, another dictionary that is useful, with conjugation
Speak with Italian friends!
Impariamo: http://www.impariamo.com/forum/ This site was started by Mindy Prian, who is married to a Venetian but lives in the States. I also helped with the design of the site. Here you can meet people from all over the world, at all levels who are learning and practicing the language. You can fare quattro chiacchiere…chit chat and participate in the forum. It’s a good way to practice writing, people are friendly and offer up corrections and advice on traveling in Italy. All topics are covered…very social and fun. Many Italian natives are members and it is a great way to meet people and make friends. It is through Impariamo I have met many of the friends we visit when we go to Italy and have the BEST experiences!
LiveMocha: http://www.livemocha.com online free learning, place to meet and converse with others who are learning foreign languages. Record your voice and receive feedback from the community, do exercises and meet natives in the language you are studying and chat with them in the forum.
Facebook: There are many Italian Groups on FB where you can read posts and make posts in Italian. For example Lovers of Umbria & Practice with CyberItalian. Facebook is also lots of fun because you can participate in all kinds of quizzes and surveys in Italian to practice your language skills
Twitter: Start tweeting in Italian!
4) Leggi un brano di testo ad alta voce per praticare i suoni italiani e l’accento italiano.
Read passages in italian out loud to practice Italian sounds and accent.
5) Fai una ricerca su internet di un soggetto che ti interessa. Poi scrivi una tema su quello che hai letto. Non deve essere noioso…usi un po’ di immaginazione.
Do an internet search on a topic that interests you. Then write a theme on what you have read. It doesn’t have to be boring…use your imagination!
Listen to italian songs. Use YouTube to find interviews of your favorite performing artists.
7) Leggi i blog su internet. In questo modo tu puoi imparare tante parole utili. Anche questo e’ un bel modo per partecipare con gli italiani. Tuoi poi lasciare commenti in italiano su un blog che ti piace.
Read Italian blogs on the internet. This is a great way to learn new words and expand vocabulary. You can also practice Italian by leaving comments in Italian on blogs that you like.
Go to Italy!! Go to the Travel link on the blog for travel and trip itinerary planning help
9) Provaci a tradurre canzoni italiani. Stai attento. Le canzoni, come i poemi sono molto evocativi e qualche volta non e’ possibile tradurrle letteralment.
Translate Italian songs. Beware! Songs, like poems are very vague and evocative and sometimes it is not possible to translate them literally.
Watch Italian tv on RAI CLICK.
11) Vai all’opera! Alscolta la musica e le canzoni italiane e cerchi da capire le parole italiane. Non e’ un carico facile, ma si puo’ aprire gli occhi un po’ e si puo’ godere la messinscena e la musica’!
Go to the opera! Listen to the music and the italian songs and try to understand the lyrics. It is not an easy assignment, but at least you can open up your eyes a bit and enjoy the scenery and the music!
12) Bevi caffe’ fatto in una Moka Caffetiera…starai piu’ all’erta e ricorderai piu’ parole italiane! Sto scherzando…piu’ o meno!
Drink a coffee prepared in a moka…you will be more alert and you will remember more italian words! Kidding…kind of!
14) Leggi un fotoromanzo! Read an Italian photoromance!
Stai vicino a me…leggi il blog e impari nuovi parole e modi di dire!
Stay with me…read the blog and learn new words and expressions!